Urch RP Support & Discussion
March 28, 2024, 02:34:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Clerics

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clerics  (Read 278 times)
sv_sniper
Global Moderator
Visitor

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:29 am »

Hey I recently made a cleric skin and thought that the concept of clerics could use debating.

My Take on clerics:

Clerics worship a certain deity, the alignment of said deity determines the cleric’s alignment obviously, all their power comes from their deity and instead of casting a particular spell the cleric actually channels a small part of their patron gods power through a holy symbol relating to said god. Clerics almost always are heavily based on healing magic, as in a adventuring group it is usually the clerics job to heal every one of their wounds. Aside from healing magic, clerics also come equipped with powerful attacks against undead, that is if they happen to worship a good aligned god. For evil clerics they have pretty much the opposite powers as to that of good, They heal undead instead of killing them and hurt living instead of healing them, evil clerics tend to become or be known as necromancers. The pros of being a cleric would be the ability to wear heavy armors such as full plate and still be able to use spell because they are merely channeling their gods power instead of casting a complicated spell, also clerics would not get tired from casting spells or even casting large spells for that matter. The cons of being a cleric are simply they only have a certain number of spells allotted to them each day, usually a large powerful spell, a few moderate hurt spells, and a butt load of minor healing spells. The higher level spells can be switched out for higher healing spells but not vice versa. Secondly due to the fact that a cleric is not actually using mana they cannot use mana potions to regain their spell abilities, they can however perform a long and extensive ritual to ask their deity for more spells but this is not ideal for say getting spells back in a major battle as it takes too long to perform.

I realize that with the addition of clerics it would also mean having to make up deities, but this actually a good thing as deities are an important part of shaping a rp universe as the deities tend to be the number one driving force behind most factions actions. Also making up deities can be fun, and who says there has to be just one or two for that matter you can have a good aligned deity that the main city worships, a more brutal and warlike deity that the barbarians worship, and of course your classic sinister and pure evil deity that the assassins favor. The choice is yours this post is merely a representation of a possible outlook on clerics and deities, and I encourage everyone, not just Urch, to comment on this thread if they feel something needs to be added or removed.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Apexe
Administrator
Visitor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:47:47 am »

I am Barack Ob...Apexe and I approve of this idea.

Also, demon worshipers.
Report Spam   Logged
sv_sniper
Global Moderator
Visitor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:36 am »

Yea I like demon worshiping, your thinking of the barbarian village right, but it should be more than that. The barbarians should think the demon is a servant of their god, come to lead them to the path of righteousness, and whether this is actually true is irrelevant.  Grin

Worshiping a single demon also works because they could feel the gods don’t take notice of them, and that this one particular demon is more interested in their well being. The fact that they so easily switched from worshiping one demon to another, however suggest that they worship a god more than one particular demon.

Also we should think about the dynamic system of how demons/fairies actually do have more direct contact with their particular god as this would make sense. How close they were with the god would be directly related with said demon/fairies power. Also I think that it would be better to have other planes of existence in which the gods lived, because we could have it for that when a demon/fairy dies, instead of simply not existing anymore they are sent back to their native plane. Possible plane names are abyss for demons and celestial for fairies. Said demon/fairy can only come back to the natural realm by being summoned for short periods of time, or through an extensive ritual to bind them once more to the natural realm. If they die again however they are sent back to the abyss/celestial again. While banished from the natural realm most daemons and maybe even some fairies would probably plan how to exact revenge on the one/ones that killed them should they ever make it back to the natural realm.
Report Spam   Logged
Urch
Administrator
Visitor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:05:54 pm »

While Apexe may approve of this concept, I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately, I haven't really gone into working out the specifics of mythology; there is no official "god" per-say, and so in the current state any claims to the existence of gods or a god within this realm are purely speculation. I'm thinking, however, a sort of group of hyper-powerful being that represents elements or forces.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum